Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Flying Kites for Lung Cancer

Memorial Day weekend was so relaxing. Summer Fridays started at the office, meaning we get out at 3pm each Friday of the summer until Labor Day. But since it was a holiday weekend, we got out at 1pm!! The LIRR/Penn Station was packed with commuters headed home to Long Island, and vacationers taking the train to JFK, the Hamptons, Montauk, and Jones Beach. It was a fight to the death to get a seat, which there weren't many of due to the huge suitcases and duffel bags people brought on with them. I luckily got a seat. 

I rollerbladed for a little after getting my car washed and then went to bed early. Saturday morning I drove to Southampton and went to a big lunch my boss was hosting at her house. Her family has a charity called Uniting Against Lung Cancer and later that day, hundreds of people were expected to show up at Cooper's Beach to fly a kite for the cause. Since everyone migrated to the Hamptons Thursday and Friday, my ride out was just under an hour, an hour of the same long, sceneless road. Upon entering the Hamptons, a fog started to set in, and there was haze everywhere. The beach was windy and hazy, but people started to show up. The kite fly started at 4pm and ran until 6pm. WHEM, a radio station out there, broadcast from the beach and had games and contests. There were free water bottles and Tate's cookies, which surprisingly, I only had one of. My hair was flying all over the place and it was a little cool but it was nice to be able to celebrate the start of summer. We had a great turn out and raised a ton of money for the organization!

Here are some pictures of me and the event-volunteers taken by Lifetime Photography.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment