Friday, July 22, 2011

Food Trucks are in Fashion

 Sunday, the same aunt that lives in Brooklyn took me to the food truck rally at Prospect Park. I was so excited - I follow most of them on Twitter but they're all over the city and it's hard for me to get to them on my lunch break. There were about 15 trucks, two of which I had tried already (Bistro Truck and Cupcake Stop)

 First order of business was to try the lobster roll at Red Hook Lobster Pound . I liked the sandwich fully, except I would have liked the lobster to be chopped up more, isntead of 5 large pieces of lobster. Next stop was Wafels and Dinges where my Aunt got the mini-wafelini, sat under a tree and was in HEAVEN. Our friend Tony got the bbq pulled pork wafel which was great since we love pulled pork, but it got the wafel all soggy. If you don't mind soggy wafel, go for it! I got the bacon and syrup wafel, the bacon and syrup were baked in. It was fantastic. I love bacon. They were finished at that point, but I just HAD to get the CoolHaus Ice Cream Sandwich truck. Amanda and I were talking about it at my last visit and I'm sad that she was on vacation so she couldn't try it! I was wearing white pants (causing me to lean over in a distraught way to eat my chocolate ice cream which was melting seriously from the heat) but this was a necessity. I opted for the chocolate chip outer, with nutella toasted almond ice cream!! WOAH. I wish I had more time to enjoy it but it was melting all over my hands. It was a real hot day. Tony is convinced that gourmet food trucks are yupie food, so he took us to "The Hook" (red hook) where there are Latin American food trucks, and we got fried bananas (dolces!) and a pork tamale. It was like cornmeal with pork inside. Then I was stuffed. Aunt Pat and I then waited on this long line for quesadillas to take home (yes I had some oops) and talked about our family and how it would be great for her to write a memoir on them. I would love to read that and hope she does it. The Hook was packed full of people eating, playing soccer and going to the pool. The worst part about visiting my family in Brooklyn is leaving.

1 comment:

  1. YUM!
    First off, bacon is just the food of the heavens. Bacon in anything just makes it better.

    I was at first very sketch about food trucks, but after checking out the Big Gay Ice Cream truck, and learning about other trucks, I can't wait to try more!

    Next time they are in US, you MUST try Luke's Lobster! Seriously, SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete